Welcome to Rossington Welfare
The name of Rossington is thought to have come from the British "rhos" - a rush, and therefore the town of the rush meadow.
Rossington is also thought to have been mentioned in the Doomsday book as "Scitelesuuorde". It was a pleasant, open country high in an area of low land. There was once a roman fort at Parrots Corner, guarding the Great North Road, which was originally a Roman Road, and Roman villa at Mount Pleasant. Rossington was therefore probably visited as far back as 55 BC.
The Great North Road was the main north/south artery. The London to Edinburgh stage coach used to change horses at the 'Corporation Arms', the building at parrots Corner which, is the current location of the 'Hare and Tortoise' Public House. In the year 1200 the Mauley Family decided to have Rossington as a place of "occasional residences". During the resign of Henry VI, Rossington belonged to the Salvyn family. The town of Rossington was subsequently passed over Doncaster Corporation in 1505.
James Stovin, the solicitor for Doncaster Corporation built "Shooter Hill", later to become the local landmark, Rossington Hall. It was purchased by James Brown of Hare Hills, Leeds. James was lord of the manor until his nephew James Streatfield took on his mantle.
It was the Streatfields reign that Rossington Colliery was sunk. Annette Streatfield, James daughter, 'lifted the first sod' in June 1912. It was during this period that Rossington started to grow into a thriving mining Village. Miners and there families flooded in, and by the time the pit went into production it employed around the 3000 men.
Just before the Second World War, Rossington was commonly assumed to be the largest village in Europe. Since the war, the village has expanded further with the addition of council and private housing developments, much of which took place on the remaining agricultural land.
The railway came to Rossington in 1849. The village had its own station from until October 1958.
Rossington is now a classic example of a mature mining community suffering from the demise of the industrial, which once supported the economic, social and environmental framework necessary for a community to thrive.